Friday, December 12, 2008

Haha I'm so fogetful. I'd lose my own head if it .....wasn't.....Damn I forget the rest of the saying :P

In my previous entry, I completely forgot to mention probably the only productive part of my day off (and was actually the reason I was writing a blog entry in the first place).

In my newfound quest to fill some of my free time with learning Japanese (maybe it'll give me a headstart when uni begins), I have printed out five identical charts of Hiragana and stuck them up around the house (well, I've only put two of them up, one in the bedroom and one on the toilet door lol) to start memorising them. Of course, to a complete Gaijin (outsider) like me, these Japanese alphabet components are completely unfamiliar, and I was getting nowhere fast like a hamster in a wheel.
And then the idea kinda just crept up on me while I was pottering around the house. There are five basic vowel sounds to learn on this chart; a (pronounced "ah"), i ("ee"), u ("ooh"), e ("ai" sound from the word "wait"), and o (sort of sounds like the british pronunciation of the word "awe"). As I kept repeating these out loud (I was alone in the house, so no weird looks from others), The sounds just seemed to fall into the same rythm as the kids song "Bingo". You know the one, "there was a farmer had a dog, and Bingo was his name-oh...B. I. N-G-O e.t.c).

So this is my adapted version of that song, with Hiragana replacing the chorus (keeping in mind it doesn't really work for the vowels when mixed with the "y", "w" and "n" sounds, because they don't have five sounds :S):


Om's Hiragana Learning Song (sung to the Tune of "Bingo")

Chorus
There are 46 Hiragana to know,
and here's the first three lines-oh:


First verse
a . i . u-e-o
ka . ki . ku-ke-ko
sa . shi . su-se-so
and Hiragana is its name-oh!


Chorus
There are 46 Hiragana to know,
and here's the next three lines-oh:


Second verse
ta . chi . tsu-te-to
na . ni . nu-ne-no
ha . hi . fu-he-ho
and Hiragana is it's name-oh!


Chorus
There are 46 Hiragana to know,
and here's the next three lines-oh:


third verse
ma . mi . mu-me-mo
ya . blank . yu-blank-yo
ra . ri . ru-re-ro
and Hiragana is it's name-oh!


Chorus
There are 46 Hiragana to know,
and here's the last two lines-oh:


fourth verse
wa . blank . blank-blank-wo
n. there's . no-more-to-go
you've . put . on-a-good-show
and Hiragana is it's name-oh!


Yep, I know what you're thinking, kinda stupid right? Well, seems to work for me :P lol...

No comments: