Friday, December 12, 2008

a . i . u - e - o and its name is Hiragaaaana

Today I was woken by my alarm. This sucked because today is my day off, and my alarm ringtone is not my friend and definitely not invited to my birthday party :(. But it wasn't Fred's day off, he had work at 9am, so I had set it to 8.25am. After waking him, he asked me to put it on snooze, to get an extra ten minutes of ZZZ's. In my half asleep daze, I mustn't have pressed snooze, and instead pressed the 'off' button (can you blame me? I want to hear that blasted ringtone as little as possible). Next thing I knew, Fred was saying "Nice one man, I'm late".
"Mmmmmble-wmmble-sorry" I articulately replied.
Sorry Fred :(.
Eventually, around 11.30am, I woke up, again in a half asleep daze, to let the chickens out (yep, I have five chickens, hopefully they will be laying in the next week to week and a half) and make sure they had water (it's getting hot and humid around these parts recently, as is normal during a Townsville christmas). Upon reaching the back yard (best way to describe my walking style in the morning is a very, VERY, drunken-like stagger), I found that Fred had already let them out. Thanks Fred :). I chucked some growing mash on the ground (supposed to go in their feeder but hey, that was a whole fifteen metres away), uttered a croaky "Chick-chick-chick" and mooched back inside with the intention of spending the rest of my ever-so productive morning in an unconscious state. My computer, however, had it's magnetic field activated, and so I instead slumped in front of it and proceeded to waste the next four hours by looking up various things on youtube (mostly JET-related), and replying to an email from a JET (you've gotta understand, I'm in complete awe of these guys who have made it to Japan in this competitive programme). I think, however, that I may have asked too many question while doing so, and hope that I don't appear too stalkerish haha just a little is all. I just want to know everything about Japan from a first-hand perspective, but I'm making do by watching the video-logs (vlogs) of many JETs instead. Kinda like a 20-pack-a-day smoker who can't afford his own cigarettes, and has to eke out his addiction on others' second-hand smoke. In saying this, some of the footage these guys deliver on youtube is quite fantastic (in my eyes) and seems to capture their life over there quite honestly. For example, The guy who I was emailing today has taken this massive, and I mean massive, collection of photographs of the countryside around where he is situated (a rural area of the Kyoto prefecture), and I have spent the better part of this afternoon trawling through them, and being blown away by each and every one. It is Autumn over there, and the leaves on so many trees are brilliant shades of red, orange, rorange, and or-red (last two are made up colours, but there are too many shades for names). I will email him and see if I can post some of his pics in my next entry.

Campo came over around 4pm, and we watched a few episodes of 'The Office' season five while chowing down on some cold, juicy, delicious Nashi-pears (see last entry), green tea, and very yucky low-grade, Home-Brand chocolate ("Homebrand" is one of the generic brands in Australian supermarkets, along with "Black&Gold", and there used to be one called "No Frills" but I haven't seen it in ages :S). After repeatedly swearing off this gross chocolate for a whole ten minutes before breaking off another square, with a recurrant result, Fred arrived home. We then went over to Bicentannial Park near my Mum's place, and kicked a soccer ball around in the twilight until it bcame too dark to see.

After quickly visiting PJ, who is just recently arrived home from Uni in Brisbane for his holidays, We drove back to Campo's place. Fred and I caught a taxi from there to home (from there Fred was to go to Claire's 21st Bday party), and wouldn't you know it, the taxi driver turned out to be one of our neighbours haha. He spent the trip talking about his home-security setup, including surveillance cameras which have a backup memory up to 28 days, and are trained to see all around his house, and also into the street (which includes the roundabout on the corner of Forest Ave. and Wattle Street. This is a little scary because a couple of months ago a street sign on this roundabout was knocked down by one of the many hoons that live in our neighbourhood. I was building my chicken pen at this time, and just so happened to need a cross-beam, so went and picked the completely snapped (and therefore, I assume, unusable in the future) signpost off the road. Little did I know at the time, but our taxi driver probably recorded this and kept it for later use. Luckily, I was wearing a clothes that hid my face lol).

Anyway, that's been my day off. To be honest, it was a bit of a let-down. I actually missed work :S. Wrong, very wrong! Sitting on my arse used to be so easy during uni semester, but I seem to have acquired a taste for work. hmmmmmmmm...

I hope to have those pics posted up soon, pending the photographer's decision :).

Happy days

No comments: